When it comes to the AR versus AK argument, it’s easy to get bogged down on either side. However, perhaps you’re a man of culture and like both weapons equally. Perhaps you like an AR that takes AK mags or vice versa. For the latter, this is where an AK AR Mag Adapter comes in.
The Benefits of an AK AR Mag Adapter
In the world of modern firearms, there are few as iconic as the Soviet-made Kalashnikov and the US-made AR-15. Their aesthetic and iconic roles in modern warfare led to the weapons transitioning into the civilian market in both Europe and the U.S.
The semi-automatic, civilian variants of these two firearms spawned many derivatives and clones. Especially with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War leading to a globalization of the arms market.
The AK and the AR differ in various areas for better or worse. For the purposes of this article, we’re going to solely focus on the feeding system. The AK uses solid magazines inserted in the flat mag well with a circular design. Whereas the AR15 uses sheet metal magazines.
This where the AR variant of rifles has a significant advantage compared to the Kalashnikov. AK magazines are more expensive and difficult to get hold of than the STANAG mags used by the AR. So a mag adapter that could utilize both was long overdue.
Alongside the common accessories provided by the American aftermarket parts industry such as scope mounts, tactical stocks, pistol grips, railed forends, etc. The AK AR mag adapter was the latest introduction allowing shooters to buy and fit a mag adaptor to use AR-type magazines on their AK-style rifles. So, let’s look at the best on offer!
The CANIS AK Magwell Adapter
The first entry on our list is the CANIS AK Magwell Adapter. Made by the CANIS Design Group, this is one of the most affordable AK accessories on the market when it comes to finding an AK 47 AR 15 magazine adapter.
This quality AK accessory allows the US of M4 magazines in a variety of AK platforms ranging from the saiga 223 magazine and Polish 5.56 AK mags to Norinco magazines and the Polish Beryl magazine.
Pros of the CANIS AK Magwell Adapter
- Compatible with a massive range of magazines from 5.45 to 7.62.
- Can take any round that is used in a USGI box fed magazine well.
- Constructed from high-quality materials such as 6061-T6 Aluminium and Mil-Spec hard anodized.
Pros of the CANIS AK Magwell Adapter
- Does not count towards 922r compliance.
- Not a plug-and-play system. The CANIS AK Magwell Adapter needs to be fitted by a skilled gunsmith who holds advanced knowledge of building Kalashnikov pattern weapons.
Texas AK Designs AK STANAG Adapter
Pros of the
Installation is completely reversible, and non-permanent: by pushing the original flat magazine release lever of the rifle, located in front of the trigger guard, the adapter will be removed should the shooter revert to the use of the original proprietarymagazines.
The Definitive Arms Mag Adapter to Make an AK That Takes AR mags
And so we reach the first place on our AK AR mag adapter list. In order to make an AK that takes AR mags or vise versa, the number one AK magwell adapter in our opinion is the Definitive Arms Mag Adapter.
The Definitive Arms Mag Adapter, otherwise known as the AK STANAG adapter, is a dedicated conversion kit made by Definitive Arms that allows Kalashnikov style weapons to be used with AR mags and take advantage of the automatic Last Round Bolt Hold Open (LRBHO) function.
Pros of the Definitive Arms Mag Adapter:
- Cost-effective. The cost of buying and fitting this AK 5.56 AR mag adapter is a lot more cost-effective than buying a new load out of 5.56 AK magazines.
- Made in the USA and the proven workmanship of Definitive Arms means that this AK AR Mag Adapter is a tried and tested system that you can rely on.
- High-quality material. This AK to AR mag adapter is crafted from Billet Alloy Steel & Aircraft Aluminum.
Cons of the Definitive Arms Mag Adapter:
- At an average price of $350, this is the most expensive AK AR Mag Adapter on our definitive buying guide. Whilst not for those on a budget, it truly is a case of you get what you pay for.
- Not a plug-and-play system. The Definitive Arms mag adapter needs to be fitted by a skilled gunsmith who holds advanced knowledge of building Kalashnikov pattern weapons.
polish 5.56 ak mags